Christmas is one of the most widely celebrated holidays in the world. But it’s also among the most diverse when it comes to food!
Here are 10 great tasting foods you should enjoy throughout the holiday to promote your health:
- Got a caffeine crave? Drink black coffee or unsweetened tea in the morning to get your buzz without the added calories. Many health benefits are associated with consuming moderate amounts of both products.
- Add your favorite veggies to an egg white omelet to increase your intake of lean protein.
- Kick the Craisins to the curb as they contain a lot of added sugar. Substitute some raisins to your recipe.
- Potatoes packed with potassium! Try a baked potato with salsa but stay away from the fried stuff.
- Flavor your dish with spices but not salt. Spices have a ton of natural antioxidants!
- Ditch the Cole slaw and try a broccoli slaw. Broccoli contains anti-cancer compounds called isothiocyanates.
- Dark color berries (e.g. blueberries, strawberries and blackberries) contain anthocyanins that may help to lower your bad cholesterol.
- White meat is less caloric and lower in fat (chicken or turkey) as compared to dark meat. Try a rotisserie style chicken for maximal flavor.
- Enjoy dark chocolate with 70% cacao (less than 2 oz. per day) for heart health effects and lower amounts of sugar and saturated fat. Stay away from white chocolate.
- Munch on a handful of nuts (e.g. walnuts, almonds and cashews) as a snack to promote satiety. Have a sweet tooth? Try the ones dipped in dark chocolate.
Don’t forget to do some moderate exercise every day while you relax and enjoy the family!
21 Mar 2018
14 Feb 2018